Sunday 17 September 2017

Maritime Race Weekend 2017 Recap

It's one of my favorite race weekends of the year....Maritime Race Weekend.  Each year, Michelle outdoes herself with race swag, medals, and race views.  This year was no exception!!  This year had an additional race option.... Sunset 5k, Morning 5k, 10k, 1/2, or full marathon, AND this year, a late afternoon 15k on a local trail.  I've heard about the Salt Marsh Trail but have never run it, so I did the only thing I could....I signed up!   I signed up back in January...when I was still not running due to double stress fractures!

Wouldn't you want to run on a FLAT trail that had these views??

I was that runner who stopped during the race and took pictures
But I'm jumping ahead.  Let's go back to Friday night!  Jill and I left at 5:30 to drive over to the race start....we had a fantastic parking spot thanks to my friend Paul...who also took our pictures!!
Friday night, folks dress up like pirates to run
We made our way to the start line, where we lined up by the color of our bibs (even though none of us remember telling Michelle our finishing times...lol)
Lots and lots of runners - look at that sky
(not my picture)
My plan was to just have fun knowing that I was going to be running 15k the next day.  The start line is an 'S' shape so there is quite a bit of congestion and not the fastest start.  I ran what was comfortable on the out and back gorgeous course.  It's right next to the water...and the sun sets on the way back.  Paul and Roxanne went out on the course to cheer and take pictures.  On my way back, I looked for him....I saw him...but he didn't see me and I was waving frantically at him to get a picture (yup....I'm that runner too).  I was laughing by the time he picked up his camera as I screamed 'you had one job' as I ran by.  It was too funny!
Paul does photography...check out his facebook page "Paul Wesson Photography"
to see his work
 I ended up with a 26.53 which isn't a PB, but is my fastest 5k this year which I'm happy with given it's a rebuilding year after the stress fractures.    There is always amazing after race food...this year saw chocolate milk, freezies (the best), bananas, bagels and cream cheese.  The medal is a lighthouse, which actually lights up!  Home I went to rest up for the next day's 15k trail run.

I'm not used to running in the afternoon....it's kind of weird to try and fuel for a run that late in the afternoon.  I was thankful that I was not waking at 6:30 to drive over for any of the morning races.  Jill picked me up at 2:30 and over we went.  The course was said to be flat but I  was still a bit worried as the longest I had run was 12k to this point.  Adrenaline would carry me, right?  500 runners lined up and we were off.  The first 1.5km or so had incline/declines...which also meant I would be running these same incline/declines at 14km or so.

The trail was completely flat...and it was beautiful...and HOT...so very HOT!!  The salt water on both sides of the trail sure did look inviting!
I walked at the 10k and 12.5k water stations as I poured the water over my head.  The walk at 12.5k enabled me to keep going...although slow.  Then at the 14km mark (after a few inclines) I fell in step with another runner.  Neither of us seemed to want to let the other get ahead, so we continued to keep running right to the finish.  I thanked him for running me in and he said the same...saying he was about to give up until I came along.  I love that about running...you keep each other going, even if you don't know the other person!
1.31 for 15....average of 6.07/km
I'll take it for my longest run in 14 months
Once again, I am so happy I signed up for this weekend!  It also means that summer is coming to an end. Boooooo!!! 
We received: long sleeve shirt, race belt, mug, buff (not pictured),
3 medals (one lights up and one spins), and a visor.
Kudos to Michelle on another great race weekend!  Even the weather co-operated.  Now we move onto the Valley Harvest Marathon where I'll be running the 10k...my first time running this distance in the valley. Can't wait!  

4 comments:

  1. Great job this weekend! That's a lot of running especially coming back off of your stress fractures. I am happy to see you healthy and running again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Post is very useful, I am truly to this blog which is specially design about the fitness and helath It helped me with ocean of awareness so I really appreciate your blog.
    vibro shaper vibrationsplatte slim

    ReplyDelete