Thursday 14 July 2016

The "Comfort" Zone

Let's face it....we all love our 'comfort' zone.  You know the one where we know the outcome, where we can snuggle in and be safe.  But....as my mom used to say to me "Nothing good ever happens after dark"...in fact she chased me onto our front deck with a wooden spoon, threatening to call the RCMP if I went out....but I digress!  Nothing will change if you stay in your comfort zone!
For many years, I did the same thing, day in and day out.  I'd go to the gym, do the same exercises on the same days...you may know the ones; back and bi's, chest and flies, legs, etc.  Was I sore?  Did I see any progress or did I enjoy the workouts?  Not always.

Then 6 years ago, I found running.  It was WAAAAYYYY out of my comfort zone.  I mean, my history was gymnastics...quick bursts of speed/endurance that lasted a maximum of 1.5 minutes for my floor routine....not running for 30 - 120 minutes at a time.  But you know what I discovered?  I discovered that my body reacted quickly to running, that running caused me to see the fastest changes in the way I lean out...even to this day.  I found that running let me escape more so than the gym ever did (let's face it...there aren't any birds singing or pretty waterfalls in the gym).
Fast forward 3 years and I decided to take another step outside my comfort zone and look into triathlons.  What?  Was I nuts?  Swimming, biking, and running...in one event?  I pushed my limits and felt so accomplished when I finished a sprint (750m swim, 20km bike, and 5km run).  Am I comfortable doing these today?  Heck no...but I continue to try and challenge myself by signing up.  Finally...last year, I got into the world of obstacle racing.  Again.....out of my comfort zone...but so much fun...so challenging...and such a rush as you cross the finish line.  You are covered in mud, or scraps/bruises, or water...but never regretting a single moment.
Is it scary to step outside your snuggly, comfort zone?  Heck yes!!!  But in order to make changes, whether physical, mental, spiritual, or emotional, you need to be willing to take that leap of faith.

Why do I bring this up?  I was chatting with a lady at bootcamp last night and she was beaming with a huge smile.  She has repeatedly stepped outside her comfort zone this year and has surprised even herself with what she can accomplish.  She joined bootcamp in February....started running in June...and just completed Mud Hero this month.  She continues to challenge herself...and you can just tell that she is having so much fun!!!!  Is it ever too late to begin...never!!  
I encourage people to try new things...to see what their minds and bodies are capable of!    So try a new fitness class, learn to run, swim or ride a bike, but whatever you do...make it a bit of a challenge.  I tell people that if they get butterflies in their tummy when they think about a goal...then it is the perfect one.  It has to make you a little nervous when you think about it or you are not stepping outside that comfort zone and into the place where the magic happens!  Enjoy life folks...we've only got one!

I would love to hear how you have stepped outside your comfort zone?  What did you do?  How did you feel??

No comments:

Post a Comment