Wednesday 29 June 2016

What not to do to prepare for Race Day!!!

Sooooo I have a half marathon on Saturday and a Try-a-Triathlon on Sunday.  Am I ready?  Heck no....I only jumped on the bike for the first time last weekend.

I thought it might be fun to do a post on what NOT to do before race weekend....or what I did wrong this training cycle.  LOL

* Do not stress yourself out by booking stuff every night/day before the race.  Luckily I was smart and didn't sign up for the 5k or 10k that is happening on Friday.  Here in Canada, it is Canada Day and I have the day off to rest up.   Now I just need to resist the urge to go boating and get sunburnt.
* Don't follow your plan at a 50% level.  I planned on doing a couple long runs this training cycle but as luck would have it, I only got one 15km and one 18km complete.  
By body is definitely going to know I didn't do all my planned miles!
* Don't completely stop running for 2 weeks before the race.  I know my legs may be rested...but my lungs are not going to be ready for this.
* Don't decide to do a triathlon without being in the open water at least once.  Lord...I'm not even sure my wet suit still fits.  Not to mention, I've never come out of the open water into transition with a wet suit on.  How the heck do I peel that off while running into transition??
Taken last year when I actually swam
* Don't carb load on donuts - Okay...maybe just one



* Don't stress about the weather....you can't control it so you might as well roll with it.

*With all of this knowledge, don't set any expectations.  I'm going into Saturday as a training run with a medal at the end.  LOL  This will be my first time ever running a 2 loop course and I'm not sure how I'm going to mentally do with it.  As for the try-a-tri...it will be my first open water one and therefore I am just chalking it up to practice.

Anything to add?  Let me know your don'ts of training from experience!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I really love that quote about your body being an accurate workout journal. It's so true and an important reminder.

    ReplyDelete