Thursday 2 July 2015

I've Come a Long Way (following my passion)

I may be an accountant by day....but my true passion is helping others to reach theirs.
A little over a year ago, I held my first 'cross-training' session in my neighbourhood (April 20th to be exact).  It was my first group session and I was a bit nervous, but excited at the same time, to dive back into the world of fitness.  Luckily, only one person showed up and we did it together...it was a GREAT way to make an entrance.    Fast forward to November 2014 and I have my first bootcamp class at 360Fit....I was nervous as all get out.  I mean people were paying to go to the gym...it wasn't free...I really wanted to deliver a good workout!
I've planned every workout since - I have a notebook or two filled with each class and personal training session that I've done.  People say to me "just recycle" an old one but I feel like that is cheating.  I am known at the gym as "Little Ball of Fury" and I'd like to uphold that nickname.  I spend a lot of time online looking for 'new' moves and thinking of combinations that push the limits of those participating.  I might be a bit sadistic as I really do like to see members with a scowl on their face as they push through those last 5 pushups or plank rocks.  It's wrong...I know!

As I start this years neighbourhood bootcamp workouts, I really have come a long way....as I look back on my diagrams of a year ago.  And then there was Canada Day.  360Fit is not usually open on holidays, but thought we'd run one class to see what the reception was.  I volunteered to teach...as most know...holidays are my favorite to plan around.  I planned for about 20 participants (wishfully thinking that many would show).  At 8:50, there were about 15 or so....all good I thought.  And then it happened....they kept coming...it was like the dam had opened, and members kept flowing through the doors.  My smile got bigger, and my heart pounded faster!  Back in November, this would have terrified me...trying to figure out how to accommodate that many people and ensure they got a great workout....but on Canada Day....I simply moved everyone outside...and we had a killer session!!

the final count was 47
No equipment was necessary for this workout...simply using body weight and some cardio sessions, a great time was had by all (at least I hope)!

This is why I do what I do...this is what makes the hours of planning worthwhile.  When I get to high five folks at the end of a workout, and they are smiling, and dripping of sweat....I have succeeded.  They have pushed their limits, became stronger...not only in body, but in their mind as well! 

Like the opening quote said "When you follow your passion, you'll never work a day in your life".  I love this aspect of my life and am so glad that I decided to follow my passion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment